Trust and Estate Services
Since 1975, First Northern Bank has been proud to offer Trust and Estate Services. We work on an individual basis with our clients and tailor our service to our clients' unique needs and our fiduciary requirements.
Our trust officers utilize a team approach so that no matter who you speak with, you get the answers you need right away. Our mission is to establish a lasting and trusted relationship with our clients. After all, we are your community bank and that mission carries through to everything we do.
- AGENT: We offer agency services on behalf of trustee(s) including bill payment services and mineral distribution accounts.
- TRUSTEE OR CO-TRUSTEE: We can act as sole or co-trustee to manage your trust assets and administer the affairs of your trust if you are no longer able. Services include trust accounting, investment and management of trust assets, bill paying services, property and lease administration and virtually all other trust administration requirements.
- SUCCESSOR TRUSTEE: If you choose to appoint First Northern Bank as successor trustee of your trust, you have the peace of mind knowing we can step in and manage the trust when you are no longer able.
- EXECUTOR: We perform all required duties to settle your estate in accordance with your wishes.
Reasons to Create a Trust
- With a trust in place, you can plan for changing needs throughout your life
- Define how, and maximize what you leave to your beneficiaries
- Minimize the effect of taxes
- Provide for dependents or a spouse
Why Name a Corporate Trustee?
- EXPERIENCE: The fiduciary landscape can be complex and challenging to navigate. With First Northern Trust, you'll find the level of expertise and service you need to help guide you through the process. All trust personnel complete extensive and ongoing training with Certified Trust and Financial Advisors (CTFA) on staff.
- REGULATION: As a bank, we are under strict regulation from both state and federal agencies that ensure your trust is being administered in accordance with regulations, laws, and best practices. Additionally, we engage independent audits on an annual basis by a specialized fiduciary auditing firm. Most non-bank and family trustees are not subject to regulation and oversight.
- MAINTAIN YOUR PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS: We maintain relationships with your existing tax, legal and financial advisors who you trust and who know you best. For those without an existing financial advisor relationship, we provide those services to you. We act as an intermediary that brings all aspects of your estate and financial plan together. We realize that we cannot be all things to all people, which is why we become part of your trusted financial team to accomplish your goals.
- STABILITY: First Northern Bank was founded in 1885 and still today remains a strong and growing independent community bank. You can rest assured that our team-approach services will be there through generations to come; serving your children, grandchildren, and beyond.
- INDEPENDENCE: Even in the best situations, it can be difficult for a family member to act as trustee. When decisions need to be made, there is generally a high level of emotional stress, pressure from family to make certain decisions, or other problems that individual trustees encounter. We act as an independent, objective trustee that takes the stress off family members and allows impartial decisions to be made that are truly in the best interest of everyone.
Our Trust Staff
Nicholas B. Thom, CTFA
, EVP, CFO & Trust Officer
Nick was born and raised in Buffalo, Wyoming and graduated from the University of Portland with B.B.A. in Finance. He started in the financial industry as an investment analyst with an institutional consulting firm in Portland, OR before transitioning to First Northern Bank. Nick is an honors graduate of the Graduate School of Banking at the University of Colorado, an honors graduate of the Cannon Trust School, and is a Certified Trust and Financial Advisor (CTFA). Additionally Nick is the current chair of the Johnson County Library Foundation, past Chair of the Buffalo Downtown Association and past member of the Trust Committee for the Wyoming Bankers' Association.
, Trust Officer
Ryan grew up in a ranching family with operations in Johnson, Sheridan and Campbell Counties as well as Southern Oklahoma. He graduated from the University of Wyoming with a B.S. in Agriculture Economics and has operated his ranch along with his family for over 20 years.
Ryan brings a deep expertise to business and ranching operations and land stewardship. Ryan was awarded the Leopold Conservation Award for Wyoming in 2011, the Landowner of the Year by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department in 2012, and Top 10 Industry Leaders Under 40 by Beef Magazine in 2009. Ryan currently serves as the Chair of the Clear Creek Conservation District.
Jessica Nicholas, Trust Officer
Jessica grew up on her family ranch in Buffalo. She graduated from the University of Wyoming where she received a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Prior to joining First Northern Bank, Jessica was employed with a major insurance company for over 10 years. Jessica is a graduate of the Cannon Trust School. She enjoys spending time with her husband and two sons. Their weekends are composed of soccer, basketball, baseball and trips to the mountain year-round for camping and skiing.
Non deposit investments available through First Northern Bank of Wyoming are not FDIC insured, are not guaranteed by First Northern Bank of Wyoming or any other institution and are subject to investment risk, including market risk, and may result in the loss of principal. First Northern Bank of Wyoming and its affiliates do not provide tax or legal advice. Please consult your tax or legal advisor to determine how this information may apply to your own situation. Whether any planned tax result is realized by you depends on the specific facts of your situation.